Doctor Erin Bowe
Clinical & Perinatal Psychologist
Hi, I’m so glad you found me!
Are you a birth worker trying to cope with vicarious birth trauma? Realising your unique position as an emotional first responder for birthing people, but feeling out of your depth? Feeling compassion fatigue, burnout, and wondering where on earth is the help for the helper?
I’m Dr Erin Bowe. I’m a Clinical & Perinatal Psychologist and coach in Victoria. Supporting birth workers through birth work absolutely chose me. After watching my own darling Doula struggling to process the unfolding of my second traumatic birth it occurred to me – where is the support? where is the trauma informed practice?
I have over 10 years experience working in private practice assisting women and families with perinatal support before and during pregnancy, and even postpartum with parent coaching and child/adolescent mental health.
I grew up on the apple isle in a city (yes, technically Devonport is a city) once described by Lonely Planet as a “sedentary, mildly menacing place”. I then moved to Hobart for university where I managed to live in not just one, but two houses where a murder-suicide was committed. I finally made the decision to move from St Kilda to the country when I came home one day, exhausted and suffering with morning sickness to find not just one but five men urinating on my front gate!
Sadly, I can only speak one language but convince myself I can actually speak two, because I don’t need the subtitles on for Ken Loach movies. I grew up playing English interpreter for Glaswegian parents, but I cannot roll my ‘R’s.
My experience in psychology is pretty wide ranging. I’ve worked with people as young as 9 months and as old as 90 years. There have been mums, murderers, Olympic athletes, chess champions, sex workers, and CEOs. I believe that everyone has a story, and am always interested in listening to yours.
Qualifications & Professional Membership
- PhD (Clin. Psych)
- Fully registered Psychologist, Psychology Board of Australia (PBA)
- Endorsed Clinical Psychologist & Supervisor, PBA
- Member, Australian Psychological Society
- Member, APS College of Clinical Psychologists
- Member, Australian Association for Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (AACBT)
- Member, APS- Perinatal & Infant Psychology Interest Group
- Member, Post and Ante Natal Depression Association (PANDA)
- Hypnobirthing Practitioner and Childbirth Educator (HPCE)
- Member, International Institute for Complementary Therapists (ICCT)